Our Church History:
In 1850 a small church of logs was built. The seats were made of wooden slabs on wooden blocks. In this small church wonderful things happened and many people were converted to God. The group steadily grew in number, so that in 1872, just 22 years after the first small church, it was necessary to build a new and larger church. It was a neat frame building, 40 by 60 feet, with a tower and a bell and an “Amen” corner. It was at a cost of $1600 with members paying all of it. By 1880 there were 133 members.
In 1903 the church was remodeled. In 1916 the church was destroyed by fire and nothing was saved but the benches, the pulpit, and an organ. They were thrown out the window. The minister at that time was Rev. Bockstahler, a large man. He jerked the pews free which were fastened to the floor with screws. Walter and Alfred Behrmen threw them out the window. The fire started by a carbide light system which exploded. A new church, the present one, was built under the ministry of Rev. Bockstahler. This church was paid entirely by the church at the cost of $4500.
The church, like all rural churches, had some hard times. During World War II, White Creek had ten young men in the service, a large number for so small a church. Other young people were leaving the rural areas and moving to towns and cities. By 1959, God saw a small rural church struggling to keep going and a young Methodist minister struggling with health problems. He sent Rev. Ross Wallace and his wife, Eva, and three small children to serve as a part-time minister to White Creek. Rev. Wallace helped revive the small rural church and was the preacher for approximately 30 years. The church recently, in 2004, constructed a new fellowship hall which created a dining/fellowship hall, new kitchen, and new Sunday School rooms. The church is different from the early church. The “Amen” corner is gone, but members have a love for one another. When one suffers, they all suffer, and are upheld by the prayers of the church.